This Summer Citrus salad is a picnic basket ready recipe for you to enjoy under the July sun! Refresh your lunch routine with golden beets, orange slices, farmer cheese, and a honey-citrus kefir dressing. Abundant in vitamin c, probiotics, and fiber, this recipe is a tasty way to nourish your body. Feeling hungry? Make this salad and share your Lifeway picnic with us on social.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.Servings: 4-6
- 2 golden Beats, trimmed tops + tails
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- flaky sea salt, for taste
- 3 oranges
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup cooked or canned chickpeas
- 1/2 cup Farmer Cheese
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 2 tbsp chopped dill
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
Honey Citrus Dressing
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp crushed red chili
- 1/3 cup virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Lemon Whole Milk Kefir
- Dressing Directions: whisk everything together. For a creamer dressing, blend in a high-power blender.
- Salad Directions: Heat oven to 425 degrees. Put 2 beets in a small oven proof skillet and add about 1/4 in water. Cover the pan tightly with foil and roast until tender - 30-40 mins. Cool off and peel and slice into wedges.
- Assemble the salad by combining all the ingredients together along with the roasted beat and top with honey-citrus dressing.