Trick or treat yourself with our Candy Corn Ombre Smoothie. We took this nostalgic Halloween confection and made it healthy by using tropical fruits and kefir to create all of the vibrant layers. It’s a fun way to create an allusion of the classic candy without the actual candy. So if you aren’t a huge fan of candy corn, no problem! This smoothie contains zero candy and just pure creamy goodness.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = a Healthy You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive systems.Servings: 1 - 2
For the Yellow Layer
- 2 cups frozen pineapple
- juice of ½ lime
- ¼ cup water
For the Orange Layer
- 2 cups frozen papaya / frozen carrots
- ½ cup orange juice
For the White Layer
- 1 cup Plain Lowfat Kefir
- 3 frozen bananas
- Place two 16-ounce glasses in the freezer.
- Blend together the ingredients for the yellow layer until completely pureed. Pour evenly into the two glasses and place back into the freezer. Leave glasses in the freezer for at least 5 minutes.
- While the yellow layer is chilling, blend the ingredient for the orange layer.
- When 10 minutes has elapsed, gently tilt the first glass and slowly pour half of the orange layer into the glass, tilting the glass upright as soon as the liquid starts to fill in on top of the yellow layer.
- Repeat with the second glass. Place glasses back in the freezer while the white layer is prepared (5 minutes at least to help thicken the mixture).
- Blend the ingredients for the white layer. Following the pouring method suggestions, layer the white mixture on top of the orange layer.
- Serve & Enjoy!