Trick or treat yo’ self with our Candy Corn Ombre Smoothie. We took this nostalgic Halloween confection and made it healthy by using tropical fruits and kefir to create the vibrant layer.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
One cup of low-fat plain Lifeway Kefir has 110 calories and 11 grams of protein, making it a great option for any lifestyle. It’s easy and convenient enough to consume on its own, but versatile enough for cooking and baking. Lifeway’s kefir is gluten-free and contains 12 live and active probiotic cultures (more than DOUBLE of traditional yogurt and milk), which may help increase the diversity of your gut microbiota.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
- 2 cups frozen pineapple
- juice of ½ lime
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cups frozen papaya / frozen carrots
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 cup Plain Lowfat Kefir
- 3 frozen bananas
- Place 2 16-ounce glasses in the freezer.
- Blend together the ingredients for the yellow layer until completely pureed. Pour evenly into the two glasses and place back into the freezer. Leave glasses in the freezer for at least 5 minutes.
- While the yellow layer is chilling, blend the ingredient for the orange layer.
- When 10 minutes has elapsed, gently tilt the first glass and slowly pour half of the orange layer into the glass, tilting the glass upright as soon as the liquid starts to fill in on top of the yellow layer.
- Repeat with the second glass. Place glasses back in the freezer while the white layer is prepared (5 minutes at least to help thicken the mixture).
- Blend the ingredients for the white layer. Following the pouring method suggestions, layer the white mixture on top of the orange layer.
- Serve & Enjoy!