When dessert emergencies strike, we reach for this delicious Chocolate Kefir Buttercream Frosting. It’s perfect on our favorite cupcakes, cookie and muffins – anything that could use a touch of sweet!
- 2-3 Tbsp Lifeway Organic Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- To a large bowl or the base of a stand mixer, cream the butter, cocoa powder and vanilla until very well combined.
- Add ½ cup of the powdered sugar to the mix, along with the kefir. Beat until combined. Slowly continue to add the sugar to the frosting until everything is combined. Beat on high until light and fluffy, adding additional kefir to thin it out as necessary.
- Use with your favorite cakes, cookies, muffins or desserts in general!
- If you can't tolerate lactose, try using coconut oil in place of the butter.
- For a vanilla frosting, leave out the cocoa powder and add additional confectioner’s sugar, as needed.