Boost your immune system during cold and flu season with our Citrus Salad. Citrus fruits are a fantastic source of Vitamin C, which strengthens immunity. We sprinkled basil leaves on top of sliced blood oranges, grapefruit, and oranges, then drizzled on a citrus dressing made with fresh-squeezed orange juice, Dijon mustard, and plain kefir. Orange you glad we gave you an idea for tomorrow’s lunch?
Prebiotics + Probiotics = a Healthy You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive system.
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.Servings: 2
- For the base of the salad: 2 oranges and 2 grapefruits
- For the dressing base:
- 2 tbsp. fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. honey, raw agave, or pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. Plain Lowfat Kefir
- *or, to make vegan, try using Peaches Oat
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder (optional)
- optional: fresh mint leaves for garnish
- Cut up 2 oranges and 2 grapefruits in circles, discarding the peels. Plate on 2 plates and set aside.
- For the dressing, mix everything together in a measuring cup or blender, then pour over the fruit.
- Chill the plate in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes before serving, add fresh mint as a garnish, if you wish, and enjoy!