Stacked high with ham, a melted blend of Gruyère and farmer cheese, creamy kefir béchamel, and topped with a sunny-side egg, this French bistro classic is an indulgent dish to enjoy for Toast Tuesday.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 3/4 cup Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Slices thick whole grain bread
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 4 slices deli ham
- 1/2 cup Farmer Cheese
- 1/2 cup Gruyère cheese, grated
- 1/2 tbsp Olive oil or butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp fresh chives, optional
- 1/2 cup micro greens, optional
- freshly ground black pepper
- béchamel sauce: melt the butter in a sauté pan set over medium heat until foamy. Sprinkle the flour over the top of the butter and cook, stirring constantly till the mixture clumps together and bubbles. Gradually add the kefir, whisking until the mixture is smooth. Add the thyme and continue whisking until the sauce thickens. Whisk in mustard, nutmeg, and salt. Remove from heat, Set aside.
- Sandwiches: Heat oven to 375° F.
- Butter just 1 side of the bread slices. Place the bread slices butter side down on a baking sheet. Place folded slices of ham on each slice of bread and cover each sandwich with farmer cheese. Top with the remaining slices of bread butter side up.
- Toast sandwiches in the oven until slightly golden and cheese is melted.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and pour the béchamel sauce evenly over all four sandwiches. Top each sandwich with ¼ cup grated Gruyère cheese. Place under broiler until Gruyère cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown.
- Place 1 sunny side egg on each sandwich. Top with chives, microgreens, and freshly cracked black pepper. Enjoy!