Made with protein and probiotic-rich Farmer Cheese, this recipe is a must-try for holiday gatherings of all kinds. It’s the perfect protein-rich appetizer! Lifeway Farmer Cheese is an artisan cheese that’s a healthier alternative to cottage cheese and it’s already blended for the optimal texture! Learn more about our Farmer Cheese and why we love it so much.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole-fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = a Healthy You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive system.
- 10 oz Lifeway Farmer Cheese
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped almonds
- 2 Tbsp honey
- Pretzel sticks, as needed
- Fresh rosemary, as garnish
- In a medium bowl, beat together cream cheese, Farmer Cheese, and dried cranberries until smooth. Dampen hands to prevent sticking and form cream cheese mixture into approximately 24 tablespoon-sized balls. Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours or until firm.
- Roll chilled cheese balls in chopped almond, pressing nuts so that they adhere. Keep cheese balls refrigerated until ready to serve. Just before serving, skewer each cheese ball with a pretzel stick.
- Drizzle honey on serving plate, place cheese balls on plate and garnish with rosemary.
- Find tips, tricks and variations here.