We love Thanksgiving from the bottom of our tarts. After a healthy serving of turkey, stuffing, and potatoes, finish off your holiday feast with our Gingersnap Tarts. Made with kefir, ensuring each bite has protein and probiotics.
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular.
Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive system.
How to Eat More Prebiotics:
To optimize the environment for probiotics, it’s recommended to consume an accompanying prebiotic. Synbiotics are foods or supplements that contain both prebiotics and probiotics. Don’t let the name intimidate you, it’s very simple. If you’re making kefir smoothies (a source of probiotics) or pouring it over granola and fruit (source of probiotics), you’re eating a synbiotic meal.
Foods that contain prebiotics include fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains. Simply pair them with probiotic-rich foods like kimchi, miso, tempeh, or kefir.
- 1 sleeve gluten graham crackers
- 3 dates (pitted)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1½ cup raw cashews, soaked (4-6 hours is best or use boiling water and soak for 20 minutes)
- 1/2 cup Coconut Honey Whole Milk Kefir
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- CRUST: pulse everything in a food processor and press into tart pans. Place in the refrigerator to harden slightly before you put the filling in.
- FILLING: Pulse everything in a food processor and pour into the tart pans over the crust. Tap on the table to have the filling flatten out. Place in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours and enjoy!
- Can top with walnuts and dairy free caramel