Honey, I’m home! Just in time, because dessert is prepped and ready to go. We made your favorite… Honey Panna Cotta with Roasted Citrus and Pistachios. It features caramelized blood oranges and crunchy pistachios on top of a kefir-based panna cotta that’s gently sweetened with honey. Pistachios are extremely nutritious nuts that are high in protein, fiber, and antioxidants and blood oranges are an excellent source of vitamin C to support skin elasticity and immune health. Panna Cotta translates to “cooked cream” in English. It’s an Italian custard made with heavy cream and gelatin. We substituted the usual heavy cream with our unsweetened plain kefir for a superfood boost. We have a gut feeling you’re not going to want to share.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.Servings: 2-4
Honey Panna Cotta
- 2 cups Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 + ½ tsp gelatin powder
- ¼ cups hot water
- 5 oranges or blood oranges
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Honey Panna Cotta: Place the kefir in a saucepan and whisk in the vanilla and honey. Put the heat on low and gently warm the kefir. We just want it to get warm. Keep whisking the honey and vanilla until well incorporated.
- Put the gelatin powder in a bowl and pour the hot water over it. Stir it until it is dissolved.
- While mixing the kefir with a whisk, slowly pour the gelatin mixture into the warm kefir. Whisk the mixture together until it is smooth and creamy.
- Pour into small glasses and chill in the fridge to let it sit for a few hours or overnight.
- Caramelized Oranges: Cut one orange in half. Squeeze juice from an orange, yielding about 2 tablespoons of juice. Set aside. Peel remaining oranges; slice into 1/2 inch thick circles.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in 2 tablespoons orange juice, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Continue cooking until brown sugar dissolves. Add orange slices and cook 2 minutes more, spooning caramel mixture over orange slices. Spoon the caramelized oranges onto a plate to let them cool.
- To serve, place orange slices over honey panna cotta, generously spooning with warm caramel sauce. If desired, garnish with mint leaves and pistachios.