This delicious (and slightly more nutritious) take on the festive dessert is perfect for an indulgent breakfast. It’s a celebration after all, right?
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups Lifeway Organic Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- Lifeway Original Frozen Kefir
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Sea salt, as needed
- To make the crepes: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, a pinch of salt and baking powder. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted butter, vanilla and 2 1/2 cups of kefir.
- Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients. The batter should be the consistency of heavy cream. Add additional kefir as needed to reach this consistency, up to an 1/2 cup.
- Warm a six-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. When the skillet is hot, measure and pour 1/3 cup of the batter onto the skillet, swirling and tilting the skillet until the batter is evenly distributed.
- Cook the crepe until the edges peel from the pan and the middle is mostly set (about a minute). Flip and continue to cook for an additional 20-30 seconds. Transfer to a hot plate and cover to keep warm.
- Continue cooking the crepes, re-spraying the skillet as needed, until all of the batter is used.
- To make bananas foster: Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan over medium heat. When melted, add the vanilla, cinnamon, salt and brown sugar and stir until bubbly. Lower heat and cook, stirring consistently, for about five minutes, or until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the bananas. Stir slowly and consistently for one minute, until the bananas are warmed through.
- To serve: Lay one crepe open on a plate. Scoop 1-2 big scoops of banana filling into the center of the crepe and fold. Top with Frozen Kefir and additional bananas. Spoon caramel sauce on top and sprinkle with cinnamon and a final small pinch of salt before serving.