It’s not a Thanksgiving without homemade kefir biscuits. Try a healthier version made with our plain whole-milk kefir to add the flaky texture without the extra oil. Best paired with cultured butter, fresh honey, or homemade jam – the options are endless!
We recommend getting probiotics from foods that are naturally rich in good bacteria which are more easily digested and absorbed than supplements or foods that contain added probiotics. Furthermore, fermented and cultured foods may also have added health benefits (such as prebiotics) that can help incorporate and utilize the probiotics in your gut.
Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive system.
- 1 cup Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup frozen unsalted butter
- Heat oven to 425F.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using the large holes on your grater, grate the butter into the flour mixture and mix lightly with your fingers until well distributed, and it looks like all the butter bits are covered with flour.
- Pour in the kefir.
- Stir just until all the dry bits are incorporated.
- Lightly flour the work surface and turn your dough out onto it.
- Lightly flour the top of your dough and use your hands to pat it out into a rectangle little over 1 inch thick.
- Fold that rectangle towards you. Rotate the dough counter clockwise and roll it out gently using a rolling pin.
- Repeat the folding and rolling two more times.
- Roll the dough out to about an 1 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a floured biscuit cutter, cut your biscuits. Gently gather and re-roll the dough until it is all used up.
- Place the cut biscuits onto a parchment covered baking sheet, so that the biscuits are just touching each other.
- Brush a little bit of kefir for a glaze. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper as desired.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes - they should be golden brown.
- Enjoy them warm with all manner of honey, butter, jam, or skyr!