Our keto BLTa is the trifecta of high fat, protein, and low carbohydrates. Even though this BLTa has an unconventional look, the flavor combination is classic. With garlic farmer cheese mayo, avocado, and bacon, each juicy bite is a reminder that summer is around the corner.
Tomatoes: Excellent Source of Vitamin C
Vitamin c is particularly important for skin health. It helps collagen production in our bodies to maintain skin integrity. Here’s a little health hack for you: it’s best to consume tomatoes with a source of healthy fats so that your body can absorb the most vitamins. Trying pairing tomatoes with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, avocado, or even paired in a dip made with our full-fat kefir!
Tomatoes: High in Lycopene, a Natural Antioxidant
Lycopene is a natural antioxidant that helps fight free radicals that can cause damage to cells in our bodies. Studies have shown that regular consumption of foods rich in lycopene can help lower the risk for both cardiovascular disease and certain cancers.
Avocado: The Good Kind of Fats
Half an avocado has around 115 calories and 6.7 grams of heart-healthy monounsaturated fat, which are crucial for brain development, linked to lower blood pressure, and may reduce risk of heart disease and stroke.
Avocados are also full of nearly twenty essential vitamins and minerals, including (per half avocado):
- Vitamin C (6mg) – which supports immunity and tissue growth/repair
- Folate (60mg) – necessary for brain, nervous system and cardiovascular functions
- Vitamin K (14 mg) – essential for strong bones and blood clotting
- Vitamin E (1.3 mg) – an antioxidant that protects against free radical tissue damage (free radicals from cigarette smoke, air pollution, and ultraviolet light from the sun).
- Potassium (345 mg) – avocados contain more potassium than bananas. Potassium is linked to healthy blood pressure levels, bone health, and supports digestion.
- Fiber – half an avocado contains almost five grams of dietary fiber. This fiber not only helps you feel fuller longer (meaning less snacking throughout the day), but it also supports and helps regulate digestion. A win-win!
- Lutein and zeaxanthin – may help maintain healthy eye-sight.
- 1/2 cup whipped Farmer Cheese
- 1 Beefsteak Tomato
- 3-4 Slices of Bacon
- 2 leafs of lettuce
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1 raw garlic clove
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt
- For Garlic Kefir Mayo (1/2 cup farmer cheese, 1 raw garlic clove, 1 tsp fresh lemon juice, 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, a pinch of salt). Whip everything together till smooth.
- Cut the tomato in half and layer in bacon, mayo, lettuce, and avocado.