When a nutritious breakfast can also taste like pie. One serving of this chia pudding with our pumpkin spice kefir has over 4 times more protein than one serving of eggs. Now there’s no excuse to not eat pumpkin pie (chia pudding) all day.
- Rich in fiber, which will help you feel fuller for longer! One cup of canned pumpkin contains seven grams of fiber.
- Low in calories – fewer than 30 calories per serving.
- Full of vitamin A, which is critical for healthy vision and a strong immune system. One cup of raw pumpkin delivers nearly double your daily vitamin A needs.
- One cup contains 2.5mg of lutein and zeaxanthin. These antioxidants have been shown to reduce the risk of chronic eye diseases.
- May protect Type-1 diabetics by helping to lower high-blood sugar. A recent Chinese study found that extract of the Asian pumpkin helped protect the pancreatic cells of type-1 diabetics from further damage.
- A good source of vitamin C for immunity.
- The seeds are rich in cancer-fighting antioxidants, minerals zinc, magnesium, copper, and phosphorus. Simply rinse them off after carving, pat dry, toss with olive oil and salt, and roast at 350°F for 20 minutes.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion. We’ve discussed before how our brain and gut communicate with each other. Scientists previously thought there was a one-way communication between the brain and the gut, but now realize that it’s a two-way line. Basically, your gut, which is comprised of millions of neurons called the enteric nervous system, is also talking back to your brain. On top of alerting your immune system to foreign invaders, digesting and absorbing nutrients, your gut also produces serotonin. In fact, about 90% of the serotonin in your body is produced by the cells in your gut.
- In a large jar add the kefir, pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice, and salt. Stir until everything is mixed.
- Stir in the chia seeds and almonds (if using).
- Cover and keep in the fridge for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- When you’re ready to eat, mix the kefir and maple syrup.
- Layer the chia seeds and yogurt in 2 glasses and top with chopped pecans.