Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = a Healthy You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive systems.Prep Time: 45 mins Servings: 6-8
For the Crust
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold, unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 4 tablespoons ice-cold water
For the Filling
- 15 ounce can (1 ¾ cups) pure pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the Farmer Cheese Whipped Topping
- 1 cup Farmer Cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Place flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times to combine.
- Add the cold butter cubes and pulse until the largest pieces of butter are the size of small peas. Add the ice-cold water and pulse until the dough just comes together, adding more water by the teaspoonful as needed.
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface and form into a round disk. Roll the dough into a 12-inch round. Transfer dough round to a 9-inch pie dish that is 2 inches deep by wrapping it partially around the rolling pin. Trim the dough edges as needed around the pie plate and then fold edges under. Use your fingers to crimp the edges of the pie crust as desired. Place pie crust in refrigerator while you prepare the filling.
Pumpkin Pie Filling
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a large bowl, combine pumpkin puree, eggs, heavy whipping cream, Lifeway Plain Organic Whole Milk Kefir and brown sugar. Whisk until smooth. Add the cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, and salt. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour the filling into the unbaked pie crust. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes. Halfway through baking, check on the pie and loosely tent the pie with foil or use pie protectors as needed to prevent over-browning of the crust. The pie is done when the center jiggles just a bit when you wiggle the pan. The pie will continue to set up as it cools.
- In the meantime, combine all ingredients for the Farmer Cheese whipped topping in a food processor. Blend for about a minute, or until everything is combined and smooth. Store in fridge until ready to use.
- Cool the pumpkin pie on a cooling rack for at least three hours. Once the pie has cooled, top it with the Farmer Cheese whipped topping and enjoy!