Live life to the fullest with these protein-packed savory oats. The nutritious ingredients will keep you satiated and energized all morning long. Eggs and avocado have vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids; steel cut oats have fiber and antioxidants; and our plain kefir has 12 probiotic cultures and 11 grams of protein per serving. To make your own, simmer steel cut oats in boiling water. Once the oats have fully absorbed the water, stir in kefir to give your oats extra creaminess. Pour oats into a skillet and top with grated cheese (or farmer cheese), sliced avocado, and a sunny-side-up egg. Last, but not least, sprinkle on salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Just wait until you taste this dish, it’s t-oat-ally delicious!
Your Gut Matters
Eating habits also play a role in mental health. Research has shown that probiotic-rich foods decrease anxiety and boost the mood. That makes kefir a great wellbeing tool because it contains 12 live and probiotic cultures. Psychiatrist James Greenblatt explained that “‘the gut is really your second brain. There are more neurons in the GI tract than anywhere else except the brain.’” As research continues to develop, it’s becoming more and more apparent that there is a link between the gut and the brain. What was once suspected as one-way communication (brain to gut) is now understood to be more of a two-way system. Thus, the health of our gut may directly impact the health of our minds.
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ steel cut oats
- ¼ cup Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated parm or Farmer Cheese
- ¼ avocado sliced
- Salt pepper, and red pepper flakes
- Place ¾ cup water and pinch of salt in saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add in steel cut oats and allow to boil for about 1 minute then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed and the oats are soft but chewy.
- Heat a small skillet over medium-low heat and grease with olive oil to cook a sunny side up egg.
- Once the oats are cooked, pour into bowl and stir in kefir and grated cheese. Top with cooked egg, avocado slices, and red pepper flakes. Grab a spoon and dig in!