While St. Patrick’s Day festivities may be canceled, celebrate at home with our Shamrock Toast. Inspired by the iconic minty milkshake, it’s a healthy alternative that’s good for your gut. On a slice of toasted sourdough bread, spread farmer cheese, then layer on avocado slices, matcha spread, and a mint leaf. Rich in antioxidants, healthy fats, and probiotics, it’s a toast to the luck of the Irish.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = a Healthy You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive system.
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
- 2 tsp matcha powder, sifted
- 1 cup coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut cream
- 3 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup hot boiling water
- 1/4 cup Farmer Cheese
- toasted sourdough bread
- 1/2 avocado, sliced thinly
- top with fresh mint leaves
Matcha Kefir Spread
- Place sifted matcha powder into a heat-safe jar or bowl. Carefully add hot boiling water to the matcha. Stir in sugar and mix until everything is completely dissolved.
- Slowly heat the coconut cream and coconut milk in a small saucepan and gradually add in the matcha mix.
- Whisk periodically on low heat until mixture has thickened and reduced by half, about 18 minutes over low heat, till smooth.
Toast:Top toasted bread with farmer cheese and thinly sliced avocado. Take your matcha kefir spread and drizzle over the toast. Top with fresh mint leaves & enjoy!