We fig-ure that you’re going to love this one! For Toast Tuesday we’re treating our senses with a Sweet & Smoky Fig Toast. Our tangy farmer cheese is seasoned with thyme and spread across a bed of warm sourdough bread. Arranged on top are slices of potassium-rich fig, bathed in a blend of crisp bacon crumbles, warm chili flakes, and naturally sweet honey. The harmonious combination of sweet and savory, sharp and spicy is simply perfect.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = a Healthy You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive system.Servings: 1 - 2
- 8 slices of bacon
- 1/2 tbsp chili flakes
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup Farmer Cheese
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 large slices of sourdough bread
- 2-4 fresh figs, quartered
- sea salt & black pepper
- Heat a large frying pan over high heat. Add bacon slices and cook until the fat is rendered and the bacon is golden brown and crisp, you want to be able to crumble the bacon. Transfer to the paper-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- When the bacon is cool, crumble it into a small bowl and crush it finely with a fork or fingers. Mix in chilli flakes and honey and set aside.
- Put the farmer cheese and dried thyme into a large bowl, season generously with salt and pepper and whip until smooth.
- Toast the sourdough bread, then slather with farmer cheese mixture. Arrange the fig slices on top, then sprinkle over the chilli bacon crumble, dried thyme, and extra honey.