We’re getting major vacation vibes from our Tropical Smoked Smoothie. It’s made with Vanilla Whole Milk Kefir, a fermented superfood that perfectly complements this citrus fruit blend with its zippy tanginess. Grapefruit and pineapple are both high in vitamin C to support a healthy immune system, ginger has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties; and vanilla whole milk #kefir may balance the gut microbiome and strengthen immunity with protein, vitamin D, and 12 live and active probiotic cultures. For a smokin’ hot detail, we garnished this smoothie with grilled fruit, granola, and raspberries. Tastes so delicious, it’ll blow you away.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
- 1 whole grapefruit, peeled
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple (plus fresh pineapple slices for garnish)
- 1 cup Vanilla Whole Milk Kefir
- 1/4 inch knob of fresh ginger
- smoking chips or smoking plank
- Toppings: smoked grapefruit & pineapple, berries, and granola
- Smoked grapefruit for oven: If you are using smoking chips: in tinfoil, add a layer of smoking chips and place slices of grapefruit and pineapple over top. wrap everything in tinfoil and put in a preheated (350) oven for 15-20 mins or until you start to see char on the fruit.
- If you are using a smoking plank: prior to putting in oven, read and complete instructions. Place fruit on plank and broil for 15 mins.
- Smoked grapefruit for grill: Use the same method from the oven, and place on your electric grill. If you have a charcoal grill, you can use the smoking chips in place of charcoal and grill your grapefruit.
- Smoothie: Add fragments of the smoked grapefruit and smoked pineapple in a blender along with everything else. Blend until desired texture. Top with berries, granola, and smoked fruit.