It may still be hot outside, but our glass is freezing cold with this Watermelon Slushy. The recipe calls for a combination of naturally refreshing ingredients, including our brand-new kefir flavor, coconut honey. You can grab a bottle (or two) at your local Whole Foods. Don’t worry if you spill when prepping. Sip happens. Recipe Video.
What Can Watermelon Do For You?
This summer fruit is a powerful source of:
- Amino acids, like l-citrulline, and l-arginine: these are great for muscle recovery and reducing soreness after exercise.
- Antioxidants and carotenoids: these include lycopene, a phytochemical that promotes heart and bone health. The rind is especially rich with lycopene, so don’t neglect it!
- Vitamin A: watermelon contains B-carotene, which your body converts into Vitamin A, which supports your immune system and keeps your eyes healthy.
- Vitamin C: we all know this vitamin boosts the immune system, but it also keeps you looking young. It’s an antioxidant that fights off free radicals, those baddies that accelerate aging, and can help build collagen, which gives skin that youthful bounce.
- Potassium: this essential mineral relieves muscle cramps and keeps your body hydrated.
- Water: all that H2O not only hydrates you, but it also keeps the calorie count low. One cup of watermelon only has about 40 calories!
- 2-3 cups watermelon cubes, frozen
- 1/2-1 cup Coconut Honey Whole Milk Kefir
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup
- 2-4 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 banana
- Add all ingredients to the pitcher of a high-powered blender. Blend on high until smooth.