You’d be hard-pressed to find a better recipe than our Apple Cider Caramel Toast. This is a modern, toasty take on the classic county fair flavors of apple cider and caramel apples. Smokey, sweet, and tangy, every bite awakens a different part of your palate. Add green apple, fennel, farmer cheese, and apple cider vinegar to your grocery list because you are going to want to try this!
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
Apple Cider Caramel
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 5 tbsp salted butter
- 3/4 cup Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup Farmer Cheese
- 1 fennel bulb, save fennel fronds for garnish
- 1 green apple
- 2 -4 toasted sourdough bread
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Caramel Directions: Add the apple cider to a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to boil. Allow the apple cider to cook down to about 1/3 cup.
- Reduce the heat and add the brown sugar, butter, whole milk kefir, and cinnamon and increase the heat back to medium-high heat. Continue to cook for 10-15 minutes until the caramel thickens and starts to become dark in color.
- Remove from heat, add the vanilla and the pinch of salt; stir to combine. Set aside to cool, the caramel sauce will thicken a little once it cools.
- Grilling Instructions: Cut the fennel and apple in half, brush with butter or oil, and place onto the grill to get grill marks and a smokey flavor to them. You don't want to cook it too long, just enough to get the grill flavor.
- Remove the fennel and apple from the grill and thinly slice them. Set aside.
- Toast Instructions: Take toasted bread and slather with Farmer Cheese and top with fennel, apple, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and apple cider caramel. Garnish with fennel fronds.