A comfort food classic lightened up with fresh spinach and our Farmer Cheese, these Farmer Cheese Lasagna Roll-ups are great for a warm weekend meal that’s only the slightest bit indulgent.
- 16 oz (one tub) Lifeway Farmer Cheese
- 2-3 big handfuls of fresh baby spinach*
- 8-9 lasagna noodles**
- 24 oz organic pasta sauce (store bought or homemade)
- 1 egg
- 1 clove of fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Shredded mozzarella cheese to top, optional
- Cook noodles in a large pot of water until al dente. Drain and let noodles set in cold water for a minute or two. Lay out on paper towels to dry.
- Preheat oven to 350 and grab a 9” x 11” glass dish. Spray the dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Rinse and chop the fresh spinach (or give the thawed spinach one last squeeze and chop). Thoroughly mix together the spinach, Farmer Cheese, egg, garlic, Parmesan cheese and basil. Add salt and pepper as desired.
- Spread 1/4 - 1/3 cup of pasta sauce in a thin layer on the bottom of the glass dish.
- Lay a piece of wax paper on the counter for your noodles. Spread about two to three tablespoons of the mixture evenly onto the noodle. Make sure the noodle is covered but not too thick.
- Roll the noodle and place seam side down onto the baking dish. Repeat with remaining noodles.
- Once all noodles are rolled and placed in the glass dish, ladle the sauce onto each roll.
- Sprinkle some mozzarella cheese on top of each roll, if desired, or additional salt, pepper and basil.
- Cover dish with tin foil and bake for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with a large salad and a tall glass of creamy kefir!
- *If you don't have fresh spinach, substitute one box of frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed very well to remove all excess moisture.
- **For a lighter dish, substitute the lasagna noodles for zucchini. Simply cut two large zucchini into 1/4" slices, spray with non-stick cooking spray and grill or bake until soft.