This Italian Grinder Sandwich might be the best sandwich we’ve ever had! The recipe took us just minutes to make and gave us a crave-worthy lunch that made us feel satisfied for the entire day. We spread a mixture of Lifeway Farmer Cheese, seasoning, and mozzarella on a sliced roll and then layered the bread with oil and a trio of sharp Italian cold cuts: salami, pepperoni, and prosciutto. After heating the roll, we added a dressing made with Lifeway Kefir. The kefir elevates this sandwich by giving it a boost of probiotics and protein for a stronger, healthier you!
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health. Lifeway Farmer Cheese is also a great source of all these nutrients, just in a different format for all the cheese lovers out there.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = A Healthier You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of fiber-rich plant foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive systems.
- olive oil
- 1 small head of iceberg lettuce, shredded
- For the Italian Dressing:
- 1/4 cup chopped banana peppers
- 1/2 cup
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1-2 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- To Assemble the Sandwiches:
- Bread of choice (we used ciabatta rolls)
- Deli Meats of choice (we used salami, pepperoni, prosciutto)
- 6-8 slices of mozzarella cheese
- For the Farmer Cheese Spread:
- 1/2 Cup Farmer Cheese
- 1/2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tbsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- First, make the farmer cheese spread, mix together Farmer Cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, and 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning. Whisk until smooth, set aside.
- Open bread, spread one side with a layer of the farmer cheese spread, top that same side with mozzarella.
- On the other side, add a drizzle of olive oil, top with deli meats.
- Toast bread at 350 until meats start to shrivel up and mozzarella is melty, about 6-8 mintues.
- In the meantime, mix together chopped banana peppers, kefir, vinegar, parmesan, parsley, minced garlic, yellow mustard, italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper.
- Add shredded iceberg lettuce to mixture and mix until coated.
- Once the sandwich is toasted, add a layer of the iceberg lettuce mixture to the side with the meats and a drizzle of italian dressing to the side with the cheese. Enjoy!