It’s the official first day of Fall and we’re creating all the cozy vibes with a warm serving of Pecan Pie French Toast. In a large bowl, beat together cream, eggs, vanilla, and plain kefir. Arrange slices of French bread in a separate container and pour over the liquid mixture until all the slices are fully soaked through. Refrigerate overnight, then bake in the oven at 350 degrees. While the bread is baking, melt butter in a small saucepan and whisk in brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, and pecans. Once fully whisked, spread an even layer of the mixture throughout the bottom of a casserole dish. Place the soaked bread on top and bake for an additional 35 minutes. The results are to die for, but this recipe will keep your bones healthy! Our kefir is high in calcium and pecans are high in manganese – a mineral that supports metabolism and bone health. They’re wonderful, nutrient-dense ingredients to experiment with for all of your fun fall recipes. Happy autumn equinox!
Your Gut Matters
Eating habits also play a role in mental health. Research has shown that probiotic-rich foods decrease anxiety and boost the mood. That makes kefir a great wellbeing tool because it contains 12 live and probiotic cultures. Psychiatrist James Greenblatt explained that “‘the gut is really your second brain. There are more neurons in the GI tract than anywhere else except the brain.’” As research continues to develop, it’s becoming more and more apparent that there is a link between the gut and the brain. What was once suspected as one-way communication (brain to gut) is now understood to be more of a two-way system. Thus, the health of our gut may directly impact the health of our minds.
- 3/4 cup Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 6 large eggs plus 3 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 8 slices
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- In a large bowl combine the kefir, cream, eggs, yolks, and vanilla beat well and set aside.
- Arrange sliced bread in a large shallow bowl. Pour the liquid mixture over the bread.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). In a small saucepan over medium heat melt the butter. Remove from heat and whisk in the brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, and pecans.
- Spread this mixture evenly across the bottom of a small casserole dish. Carefully arrange the soaked bread on top. Bake for 35 minutes. Enjoy!