Venture off the beaten path with our gut-healthy Rocky Forest Road Smoothie for a woodsy take on a classic flavor. We layered crunchy cashews for heart-healthy fats, tart berries for antioxidants, fluffy whipped cream, and a bittersweet chocolate smoothie made with our vanilla kefir for 12 live and active probiotic cultures that may balance the gut microbiome. A balanced gut has a ripple effect on the entire body and leads to a sharp, focused mind and a strong immune system. Healthy food can be delish so come and have another taste with me! Recipe link in bio. #SmoothieSaturday #LoveYourGuts
Prebiotics + Probiotics = a Healthy You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive system.
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
- 1 1/2 cup Vanilla Whole Milk Kefir
- 1 medium avocado
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp vanilla almond butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix all ingredients in a blender, blend until smooth.
- Whipped cream: 1 cup heavy cream, 2 tbsp confections sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. (Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract on medium-high speed until medium peaks form, about 3-4 minutes. Medium peaks are between soft/loose peaks and stiff peaks and are the perfect consistency for topping and piping on desserts.)
- Assembly: Layer cup with whipped cream, chocolate smoothie, berries of choice (we used blackberries and raspberries) and cashews.