We’re serving gut-healthy snacks with our drop-dead gorgeous Spicy Avocado Toast. One bite and you’re going to feel fabulous and fierce! It’s a spread of kefir hummus on toasted bread with avocado, sprouts, and topped with farmer cheese. Hummus is made with chickpeas, which makes it a great plant-based source of protein. Avocados have healthy fats and prebiotic fiber to fuel the 12 live and active probiotic cultures in our kefir and farmer cheese, which may aid in balancing the gut microbiome and strengthening the immune system. New to the farmer cheese club? It’s a mild Eastern European style soft cheese that’s similar to ricotta in texture. It’s an amazing kitchen staple to have on hand whenever you’re experimenting with new gut-healthy recipes. Trust us, this toast is all you avo wanted!
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
- 4 slices whole grain, seedy bread, toasted
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled Farmer Cheese
- 1 – 2 ounces sprouts
- black sesame seeds, for garnishing (optional)
Roasted Garlic Hummus
- 1/2 cup Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 2 tbsp Farmer Cheese
- 2 tablespoons of tahini
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 can chickpeas
- 3–5 roasted garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt (more for taste)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Hummus: blend everything together and spoon into a bowl. Place in the refrigerator to cool and then serve.
- Spread a thick layer of kefir hummus on each piece of toast. Top with several slices of fresh avocado. Finish with a generous handful of crumbled Farmer Cheese, sprouts, and garnish with black sesame seeds.