This gut-healthy Mediterranean spread is full of nutrient-dense superfoods, including Roasted Garlic Hummus and Tzatziki, two recipes made with prebiotic-rich veggies and our probiotic-rich whole milk kefir. Serve it as a side dish for your next family gathering because hummus where the heart is.
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive system.
Roasted Garlic Hummus
- 1/2 cup Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 2 tbsp Farmer Cheese
- 2 tablespoons of tahini
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 can chickpeas
- 3–5 roasted garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt (more for taste)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 1/4 large cucumber, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of ground pepper
- Hummus: blend everything together and spoon into a bowl. Place in the refrigerator to cool and then serve.
- Tzatziki: mix everything together in a bowl and place in the refrigerator to cool.
- Enjoy the hummus and tzatziki with warm whole wheat pita bread, veggies, and other Mediterranean essentials.