Let’s get seasonally scrumptious with Strawberry Pumpkin Waffles! Made with Lifeway Oat, this recipe is dairy-free and vegan. You can also substitute Lifeway Kefir if you wish! Either way, these waffles seamlessly blend the earthy sweetness of pumpkin with a subtle hint of strawberry, giving them a complex and comforting taste you’ll crave. They’re delicious on their own, but we’re taking it up a notch by adding our Creamy Nut Butter Dip. This smooth and rich topping enhances the flavor and boosts the nutritional profile of the dish thanks to the probiotics and prebiotics from certified organic Lifeway Oat, available in Strawberry, Blueberry, and Peach flavors.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = a Healthy You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive systems.Prep Time: 15 mins Servings: 4-6
- 1 (15-ounce) can of unsweetened pumpkin purée
- 1 cup Strawberry Oat
- 2 eggs or 1/4 cup liquid egg whites (or egg replacer)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups oat flour (process rolled oats in a food processor until you get flour)
- 2 tbsp. coconut sugar or baking stevia powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
Creamy Nut Butter Dip
- 1 cup raw cashew butter
- 2 pitted Medjool dates
- 1 tsp. raw honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup additional Lifeway Strawberry Oat
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- Topping: Fresh strawberries, pumpkin spice or cinnamon, etc.
- First, preheat your waffle iron and spray with nonstick spray.
- For the waffles: Mix the pumpkin purée, Strawberry Lifeway Oat, vanilla, and eggs/egg whites or egg replacer in a bowl and beat with a hand mixer until thick and creamy. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add the oat flour, coconut sugar/baking stevia, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt. Stir well and sift completely until mixed throughly. Pour the liquid ingredients from step 2 into this bowl and mix everything together with your hand mixer until completely blended.
- Place the batter into the waffle iron and cook waffles until done. Place cooked waffles on a large baking sheet or pan lined with parchment paper while you cook the rest of them, and repeat with all the batter until done.
- To make the dip, just add the cashew butter, dates, maple or honey, Lifeway Oat, and vanilla into a small food processor and blend until you get a nice creamy dip. Pour into a small bowl, and use as a drizzling sauce for your waffles.
- Top your waffles with the dip drizzled on top alongside the fresh strawberries, pumpkin spice, or whatever else toppings you like!