If you’re going to rise you might as well shine. These golden milk kefir waffles have warming flavors of turmeric, cinnamon, and cardamom to make every spiced bite a breakfast delight. With a kefir cup and kefir blended into the batter, you’re guaranteed to have the fluffiest stack ever.
This vibrant root is the quintessential ingredient in many Middle Eastern dishes like curry, soup, and rice. Many different cultures all across the world have used and consumed it for centuries, often as a cure for ailments. In Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine, turmeric has also been used for a variety of uses including improving digestion, relieving arthritis, increasing blood flow, and more.
Turmeric contains curcumin, which is a compound that has been found to reduce swelling and inflammation. (This could be beneficial for digestive disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome, and ulcerative colitis.) Turmeric has a low bioavailability, which means that your body metabolizes it very quickly. Experts recommend pairing it with black pepper, which contains a natural substance called piperine that helps the body absorb the curcumin more slowly.
Other Benefits of Turmeric
- May help the pain of osteoarthritis
- Can stimulate the gallbladder to produce bile, which may aid in digestion
- May make your skin glow when used in your beauty regiment. Many companies are now using turmeric in their skincare lines
- May help reduce the buildup of LDL/bad cholesterol in the arteries
- Contains powerful antioxidants that may help prevent cancers
- May help protect the brain
- Plug in your waffle iron to heat it up.
- Put the eggs, skyr, kefir, maple syrup and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk until uniform (batter will be thick)
- Add the flour, baking powder, spices, and salt.
- Mix with a wooden spoon until uniform.
- Spoon the batter into your hot waffle iron according the manufacturer’s instructions ( may take a different amount of batter - about 3/4 cup of batter per waffle.)
- Cook until crisp and brown.
- Remove the waffles from the waffle iron and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve immediately with fruit, maple syrup, or toppings of your choice.