Our winter citrus toast with whipped honey farmer cheese is rich in Vitamin C, which helps strengthen the immune system and boost collagen production. Studies have shown that eating foods high in Vitamin C and probiotics can even enhance our mood, so give yourself the nourishment it deserves with this tangy and vibrant creation.
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular.
Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive system.
How to Eat More Prebiotics:
To optimize the environment for probiotics, it’s recommended to consume an accompanying prebiotic. Synbiotics are foods or supplements that contain both prebiotics and probiotics. Don’t let the name intimidate you, it’s very simple. If you’re making kefir smoothies (a source of probiotics) or pouring it over granola and fruit (source of probiotics), you’re eating a synbiotic meal.
Foods that contain prebiotics include fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains. Simply pair them with probiotic-rich foods like kimchi, miso, tempeh, or kefir.
Whipped Farmer Cheese
- 1 cup Farmer Cheese
- 2-3 tbsp of honey
- Pinch of flaky sea salt
- multigrain bread, sliced
- whipped farmer cheese
- 1 blood orange, peeled and sliced
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and sliced
- 1 navel orange, peeled and sliced
- flaky sea salt
- For the Whipped farmer cheese:
- Place the farmer cheese in a food processor and process until very smooth and fluffy.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the honey and whip again for a minute or so.
- Taste and add more honey if desired and a pinch of flaky sea salt. Pulse to combine.
- Keep at room temperature until ready to serve.
- To Assemble:
- Toast your bread slices to desired doneness.
- While the bread is still warm, add a layer of honey whipped farmer cheese.
- Next, layer on the citrus slices.
- Drizzle everything with honey and sprinkle with a little salt.
- Serve immediately.