A strong start to September wouldn’t be complete without a fall-inspired coffee drink, so we’ve created a brand new recipe to pay homage to a seasonal favorite with this Apple Spice Kefir Macchiato. With warm notes of apple pie spice, rich coffee, a lovely vanilla flavor from vanilla bean extract, and of course, our probiotic Lifeway Kefir. We took a trendy recipe and turned it into a better-for-you version that is just as delicious but with the added benefits of Lifeway Kefir’s powerful probiotics to nourish your microbiome. Now this is how you welcome in fall, friends!
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = A Healthier You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of fiber-rich plant foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive systems.Prep Time: 5 mins Servings: 1
- 3 shots warm espresso (or use 1/3 cup store bought espresso cold brew, heated)
- 1 cup Vanilla Whole Milk Kefir
- 1/2 tsp. apple pie spice (or 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, 1/8 tsp. ginger, and a small dash each of nutmeg and cloves)
- 2-3 pitted Medjool dates
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract or 1/4 tsp. pure vanilla bean powder
- 1/2 cup crushed ice
- Topping: coconut whipped cream or regular whipped cream
- In a high-speed blender, blend the espresso, Lifeway Vanilla Kefir, apple pie spice, dates, vanilla, and crushed ice until the dates are completely pulverized and broken down.
- Pour into a glass jar, add whipped cream and additional apple pie spice (or some cinnamon), serve, and enjoy!
- To make this iced, just let the espresso cool down completely before you blend it, then pour over ice and add coconut whip or regular whipped cream as normal!