Honor the annual squash harvest with our butternut cinnamon date smoothie bowl. This recipe is a tasty way to show your appreciation of the earth and the nutrients it provides. Packed with fiber to help keep you full and spices to help reduce inflammation in the body, let his autumn blend help you thrive this season.
Like ginger and turmeric, cinnamon is a readily available spice that has been used medicinally by eastern cultures for centuries. It’s an anti-inflammatory that is high in antioxidant polyphenols. Even more, it contains cinnamaldehyde, a compound that kills bacteria and acts as an agricultural fungicide! And you thought it was just tasty in cookies.
While cinnamon is still being studied by medical professionals, recent findings show that cinnamon:
- May lower blood sugar levels in individuals with diabetes
- May reduce total cholesterol and lower LDL levels
- Is linked to a reduced risk of heart disease
- May reduce inflammation in the body
- May reduce fasting blood sugar levels and increase insulin sensitivity
- Supports digestion and helps eliminate intestinal gas
- 1 cup Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 1.5 cup frozen, cubed butternut squash
- 1 frozen banana
- 3 large Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp each cinnamon, ground ginger and cloves
- 5-6 large ice cubes, or as needed
- Toppings: walnuts, cacao nibs, pumpkin seeds
- Add all smoothie ingredients into a high speed blender and blend on high until smooth, adjusting the spices as needed.
- Serve immediately & enjoy!