From garden to oven, our farmer cheese blackberry pizza is a creative way to use the abundance of berries you’ll pick (or pick up at the farmers market) this spring. Blackberries and farmer cheese are unexpected soulmates that come together beautifully on a bed of sourdough crust with a little fresh basil on top. Each slice is a reminder that magic happens when you try something new.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
- 1 Sourdough Crust*
- 1 small package of fresh blackberries 6oz
- 1 cup Farmer Cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 basil leaves sliced into strips
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- Rub the olive oil along the pizza crust. Smash half of the blackberries and spread out over the crust along with small tablespoons of Farmer Cheese.
- Top with mozzarella, parmesan cheese, and scatter remaining blackberries over the pizza.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until cheese starts to brown. Scatter basil leaves over the pizza during the last few minutes of baking.
- Drizzle the rest of the extra virgin olive oil over the pizza and enjoy!
- *We used Monteli organic sourdough crust from Trader Joes