Creamy kefir replaces heavy cream to lighten up this veggie-packed Cheesy Asparagus and Spinach Kefir Quiche! It’s perfect for Sunday brunch or dinner any night of the week.
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp Lifeway Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- ½ cup Lifeway Farmer Cheese
- 1 box Simple Mills Artisan Bread Mix
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 8-10 asparagus spears, ends removed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 6 large eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup olive oil + more as needed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9” pie plate. Set aside.
- For the crust: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg white, ¼ cup of olive oil and two tablespoons of kefir. Once combined, stir in the box of Simple Mills Artisan Bread Mix and stir until the batter thickens and comes together.
- Gather the batter into a ball and flatten into a thick disk. Transfer the dough to the prepared pie pan and use the heel of your hand to work the dough across the base of the pie plate and up the sides. Bake for 10 minutes until the crust is firmed up. Remove from oven and set aside.
- For the filling: In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the asparagus spears, and spinach. Cook until asparagus spears are slightly tender and spinach is wilted. Transfer spinach to a colander. Press firmly with the back of a spoon to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Set aside.
- Add the eggs and kefir to a large bowl and whisk well. Stir in the feta cheese, Farmer Cheese, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Add the spinach and the asparagus to the egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour the egg and vegetable mixture into the prepared pie crust and reheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the quiche in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling slightly.
- Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Save time by prepping the crust and veggies ahead of time. That way all you need to do is combine and cook for a delicious dish ready in a snap.