This week, make a meal the kids will love. We recommend our easy recipe for Farmer Cheese Pesto Flatbread. It’s a gut-healthy meal that makes for a perfect snack or dinner option. Spread homemade pesto on a golden brown flatbread, then top with roasted chickpeas, pickled onions, fresh herbs, pine nuts, and a few dollops of farmer cheese. Our all-natural, cultured farmer cheese is an old-world recipe with protein and 10 live and active probiotic cultures. It gives the dish a tangy flavor that will leave you and the rest of the family wanting more.
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.Servings: 2-4
- premade flatbread
- 1 can of drained/rinsed chickpeas
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup Farmer Cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Toast the flatbread in the oven till golden brown and slightly crispy.
- Toss the chickpeas with 1/2 tbsp olive oil (a pinch of salt) and place on a baking sheet into a 450-degree oven. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until browned and crunchy. Watch carefully the last few minutes to avoid burning.
- Pesto: Blend together 1/2 tbsp olive oil, basil, parlsey, cilantro, pine nuts, farmer cheese, and salt.
- Top the flatbread with the pesto, pickled onions, medium-sized dollops of farmer cheese, fresh herbs, and olive oil.