This Toast Tuesday we were inspired by Korean cuisine and made Gilgeori Toast, a hearty grilled egg omelette sandwich filled with crunchy veggies and melted farmer cheese. Gilgeori translates to “street” in Korean. It’s also called Korean Street Toast because this sandwich was traditionally sold at street-food vendors in Korea. The purpose of this meal was to provide a compact, grab-and-go breakfast for people who were commuting to work or school. We gave this Korean classic a Lifeway update by adding farmer cheese. It’s a whipped soft cheese that gives this meal 13 grams of protein per serving and 12 live and active probiotic cultures. We’ve got a gut feeling you’re going to love this recipe!
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.Servings: 1 - 2
- 1 1/4 cup slaw (cabbage, carrots, scallion)
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- pinch of granulated sugar
- 1 slice of ham (or meat alternative)
- 1/4 cup farmer cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Sauce: 1 tbsp natural ketchup & 1 tbsp mayo
- In a bowl, combine slaw with salt and pepper. Massage the vegetable mixture till it gets tender and crack in 1 egg and mix well.
- In a large pan, melt 1/2 tbsp of butter over medium heat. Place both slices of the bread on the pan, until golden-brown underneath. Flip the bread to the other side, and cook until golden brown. Transfer to a cutting board and sprinkle the top of each toast with a pinch of sugar.
- In the same skillet, melt the remaining 1/2 tbsp of butter over medium heat. Add the cabbage mixture, and use a spatula to shape the mixture to match the size of your bread. Cook the cabbage mixture just until it turns golden underneath. Flip the mixture and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Place a lid over the pan and cook until the other side is golden underneath and the cheese is melted. When done, remove the pan from the heat and set it aside.
- Warm your ham if you like and cook a sunny-side-up egg.
- Slather one side of the bread with Farmer Cheese, layer on the cheesy slaw, and top with deli ham, a sunny side up egg, and a drizzle of mayo and ketchup! Top with the toasted bread and enjoy!