Going up? This Toast Tuesday, we’re elevating the classic grilled cheese! Our Green Goddess Grilled Cheese is crunchy, gooey, and zesty! We made a green spread with our probiotic farmer cheese, herbs, and spinach, slathering it on multi-grain bread and layering with more cheese, kale, microgreens, and avocado! This earthy, healthy twist to a comforting classic is the reason every bite will be memorable.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.Servings: 2-4
Green Goddess Spread
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- 2 tbsp minced fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 tbsp Farmer Cheese
- 1/2 cup packed baby spinach leaves, minced
- 2 handfuls of baby kale or baby spinach
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices of grain bread
- 3-4 tablespoons Green Goddess Spread
- 4 slices of white cheese of choice
- 1/2 ripe avocado, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup microgreens
- Green Goddess Spread: Mix all ingredients in a bowl until fully incorporated, set aside.
- Grilled Cheese: Sauté baby kale or baby spinach with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes until wilted. Set aside.
- For one sandwich, place one slice of bread on a cutting board or plate. Top the bread with 2 slices of cheese, half of the avocado, half of the sautéed kale, and half of the sprouts or microgreens.
- Take another slice of bread and spread with 1-2 tablespoons of the green goddess spread. Place that slice on top of the sandwich fillings, with the green goddess spread side facing down on top of the sandwich fillings.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 tablespoon of butter. Once it has melted, add the prepared sandwich. Cook on both sides till golden brown, around 3-4 minutes per side!
- Repeat for more sandwiches.