These PBJ and Banana French Toast Sandwiches are the jam! Are you prepping for back-to-school season or prone to a little nostalgia? This elevated version of the childhood classic combines golden-brown slices of French toast with a delicious swirl of banana, peanut butter, and blueberry jam hidden inside. The pairing of Lifeway Plain Whole Milk Kefir and all-natural peanut butter means that each bite is loaded with protein and bursting with flavor.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health. Lifeway Farmer Cheese is also a great source of all these nutrients, just in a different format for all the cheese lovers out there.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = A Healthier You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of fiber-rich plant foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive systems.
- 8 slices of whole-grain bread of choice
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 1 tsp. unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp. natural peanut butter, divided
- 4 tbsp. blueberry jam or preserves
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, divided into 1/4 cup each
- 2 bananas, sliced into coins
- Garnishes: maple syrup, additional fresh blueberries and banana
- Toast the 8 slices of bread; set aside.
- Whisk eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, and Lifeway kefir in a medium bowl until everything is incorporated.
- Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes, then spread 1 tbsp. butter each on 4 pieces of the toast and spread the jam/preserves on top of the peanut butter on those 4 slices. Top each of the 4 pieces with 1/4 cup of blueberries and 1/2 a banana's worth of the sliced pieces to complete the inside layer. Top with the remaining pieces of bread to assemble each sandwich, and press down each one to seal in all the ingredients.
- Dip each sandwich one at a time into the egg mixture (coating both sides of each sandwich evenly) and let any excess mixture drip off. Place sandwiches in the skillet and cook 1 minute on each side or until golden-brown on top.
- Top with maple syrup and additional fruit, then enjoy!