We’re having a pasta party for day four of Pumpkin Week! Our Protein Pumpkin Pasta is a harmonious combination of sweet, savory, and tangy flavors, a tasty way to enjoy the nutritious benefits of pumpkin and kefir. These two superfoods have what it takes to help support a healthy immune system, so check out the recipe below and enjoy every twirl of your fork.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = a Healthy You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive system.Servings: 2-4
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup Farmer Cheese
- 1/2 cup Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 1 1/2 cups homemade pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 box of pasta noodles
- dried parsley, for garnish
- sage leaf, for garnish
- extra black pepper, for garnish
- Cook pasta till al dente in salted water, drain, toss with some olive oil, and set aside.
- Sauté your yellow onion in some butter or olive oil with a pinch of salt till caramelized. Let cool slightly.
- In a blender or food processor, blend together all the ingredients for the protein pumpkin sauce till creamy.
- Pour the sauce over the noodles and on low heat, mix everything together. Once warm, place your pasta into a bowl and garnish with dried parsley, black pepper, and a sage leaf.