Craving comfort food? Look no further because we have a recipe you’re going to love! Our Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta with Garlic & Sage Tahini Kefir Sauce combines sweet and savory flavors for a delicious meal that your family is bound to request for next month’s Thanksgiving feast. This dish features butternut squash, a mild, naturally sweet vegetable (in the culinary sense) that’s botanically a fruit. Squash can have complex identities! It has many health benefits including vitamin C for immune health, fiber for digestive health, and antioxidants to protect cells in the body. We cubed roasted butternut squash and paired it with a tender penne pasta coated in a Garlic & Sage Tahini Kefir Sauce, a zesty blend of fresh herbs and our plain kefir. Tahini is a great source of phosphorus and manganese for healthy bones and our plain kefir has 12 live and active probiotic cultures, which may balance the gut microbiome. When you’re cooking with kefir, the pasta-bilities are endless.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.Servings: 5-6 servings
Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta
- 1 box penne or bow tie pasta
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Garlic & Sage Tahini Kefir Sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2-3 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 4-6 tbsp Plain Lowfat Kefir
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- On a baking sheet combine butternut squash, onion, garlic, allspice, sea salt, pepper, and olive oil. Toss until veggies are coated and spread evenly on the baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes, toss and then roast for another 10-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package instructions and drain.
- Make the tahini sauce by whisking everything together in a small bowl.
- To assemble: add the pasta, veggies, and cilantro into a large bowl. Add tahini sauce and toss carefully. Serve warm with additional salt.
- You can also add in Farmer Cheese!