Today we bring you our Pumpkin Pancake Tacos! With fluffy Lifeway kefir baked into the pancakes, caramelized apples, and ginger-spiced Lifeway Farmer Cheese, this creative fusion is packed with probiotics, prebiotics, and protein. Set all the ingredients on the table and gather the family so they can build their own pumpkin tacos.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole-fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a unique trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health. Lifeway Farmer Cheese is also a great source of all these nutrients, just in a different format for all the cheese lovers out there.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = A Healthier You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates that are a source of fiber that is naturally found in a variety of plant foods[b]. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive systems. Lifeway Oat contains both prebiotics and probiotics for optimal gut and brain health.
Kefir Pumpkin Pancakes
- 1 ½ cups Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (use GF if needed)
- 3 tbsp brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 apple (red or green)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice seasoning
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup Farmer Cheese
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Kefir Pumpkin Pancakes: In a bowl, mix together the kefir, pumpkin, egg, oil, and vinegar. Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, ginger, and salt in a separate bowl. Stir into the pumpkin mixture just enough to combine.
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle. Brown on both sides.
- Caramelized Apples: Peel the apple and chop it into small chunks, or any size that you choose. On a baking sheet, add the apples, spices, and maple syrup. Bake until the apples become tender and the maple syrup begins to caramelize.
- Farmer Cheese: Mix together.
- How to Build Pancake Taco: let pancakes cool slightly and place into a taco mold.
- spoon the ginger farmer cheese into the opening of the pancake.
- top the farmer cheese with caramelized apples
- garnish with extra cinnamon and maple syrup (optional)