Take a bite out of summer this #ToastTuesday with our Roasted Strawberry Rhubarb Toast. With sweet strawberries, tart rhubarb, and tangy farmer cheese, every bite is layered with harmonious flavor. This toast tastes amazing, and making it with our farmer cheese gives it a protein and probiotic boost. Feeling hungry?
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.Servings: 1 - 2
Strawberry & Rhubarb
- 2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 slices of toasted bread
- 1/2 cup Farmer Cheese
- garnish with mint, thyme, or basil
- Strawberry & Rhubarb: Combine chopped strawberries and rhubarb in a saucepan. Add sugar and salt; stir to coat evenly. Let sit until the fruit has released its juices, about 10 minutes.
- Bring the fruit mixture to a light boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until fruit is soft and mixture has thickened about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool, about 30 minutes. The mixture will further thicken upon cooling. Place in a jar or storage container and refrigerate for up to a week.
- Toast: slather toasted bread with Farmer Cheese and top with strawberry & rhubarb and garnish with herb of choice.