This Spring Hummus and Pretzel Toast recipe might just become your new favorite toast recipe. Why? It’s not only delicious, but the perfect combination of flavors and health properties, like B vitamins, protein, magnesium, calcium, and probiotics for gut health and immune health support. First, we made the hummus with our probiotic-rich, creamy and slightly tangy Farmer Cheese. The mild flavor of our cheese enhances this iconic Middle Eastern dip made with B vitamin-rich chickpeas, which are also a great source of magnesium and fiber. Our Farmer Cheese also offers a complete source of protein and is both gluten-free and GMO-free. We spread the hummus over toasted sourdough and add a chopped-up medley of pretzels, cucumber, and parsley—the latter two being great sources of the anti-inflammatory compound found in green veggies known as chlorophyll, along with vitamin C, an important antioxidant for immune system support. We love the crunch and we think you will too! Check out the recipe and be sure you give it a try!
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health. Our Farmer Cheese is also a great source of all these nutrients, just in a different format for all the cheese lovers out there.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = A Healthier You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of fiber-rich plant foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive systems.
- 2 cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed, drained
- ⅓ cup tahini
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ⅓ cup Farmer Cheese
- 1 garlic bulb, roasted
- 1 tsp. salt, more for taste
- 1 tsp. black pepper, more for taste
- 2 tsp. Everything bagel seasoning
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup crushed pretzels (gluten free)
- Olive oil for topping
- 1/4 cup dried red chilli flakes
- additional Farmer Cheese for crumbles
- Sourdough bread (gluten free)
- Roast garlic bulb with a bunch of olive oil (coat the bulb very well) in a preheated 350 oven for 20 mins.
- In a food processor or blender, blend together chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, Lifeway Farmer Cheese, roasted garlic, salt, pepper, everything bagel seasoning until well blended (no lumps)
- Toast sourdough bread. Meanwhile, chop cucumbers, parsley, and chop pretzels with a food chopper.
- Spread hummus over toast, and top with chopped cucumbers, parsley, pretzels, pine nuts, red chilli flakes, additional Farmer Cheese crumbles, extra salt, pepper, everything bagel seasoning and olive oil.