Want to know the secret to an extra creamy avocado spread? Add a couple of tablespoons of kefir! Prep our avocado kefir dip using Lifeway kefir and Lifeway Farmer Cheese, and use it throughout the week on sandwiches, with crackers, or as a taco topping. This zesty dip adds some extra flavor to a crostini appetizer that’s sure to impress your guests.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health. Our Farmer Cheese is also a great source of all these nutrients, just in a different format for all the cheese lovers out there.
The Good Kind of Fats
Half an avocado has around 115 calories and 6.7 grams of heart-healthy monounsaturated fat, which are crucial for brain development, linked to lower blood pressure, and may reduce risk of heart disease and stroke.
Avocados are also full of nearly twenty essential vitamins and minerals, including (per half avocado):
- Vitamin C (6mg) – which supports immunity and tissue growth/repair
- Folate (60mg) – necessary for brain, nervous system, and cardiovascular functions
- Vitamin K (14 mg) – essential for strong bones and blood clotting
- Vitamin E (1.3 mg) – an antioxidant that protects against free radical tissue damage (free radicals from cigarette smoke, air pollution, and ultraviolet light from the sun).
- Potassium (345 mg) – avocados contain more potassium than bananas. Potassium is linked to healthy blood pressure levels, bone health, and it supports digestion.
- Fiber – half an avocado contains almost five grams of dietary fiber. This fiber not only helps you feel fuller longer (meaning less snacking throughout the day), but it also supports and helps regulate digestion. A win-win!
- Lutein and zeaxanthin – may help maintain healthy eyesight.
Eat and Feel Well
Aside from being nutritionally dense, avocados are versatile and easy to use. They’re also a great substitute for butter or oil when baking; just decrease your oven temp by 25 degrees. They add volume to our favorite kefir smoothies, make dips creamy and rich, and can be used to replace mayo or cream cheese on your favorite sandwich or bagel. They’re nothing short of delicious, so grab some while they’re in season – you won’t regret it!
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup Lifeway Farmer Cheese Farmer Cheese
- 3 tbsp. Plain Lowfat Kefir
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve with bread, crackers, or veggie sticks.