Take a bite out of our Blueberry Lemon Kefir Muffins, these beauties are made with fresh blueberries, tangy Plain Kefir, and tart lemon. If you want more of a lemon flavor you can use our Organic Lemon Meringue Whole Milk Kefir in the mix.Servings: 12 standard
- 1 ¼ cup Plain Lowfat Kefir
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ½ cup very ripe banana, mashed
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh
- Zest from one lemon
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with silicon (or paper) muffin cups and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, banana, oil, and kefir.
- Pour liquid ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and add the lemon zest. Stir gently to incorporate, careful not to over mix. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin trays. You will have leftover batter after filling the 12 slots, so feel free to use two trays.
- Bake muffins for 25-28 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. Stick a toothpick in one of the muffins to be sure its cooked all the way. Remove from oven and set tray on a cooling rack.
- Allow the muffins to cool completely. Store at room temperature, or wrap in plastic and aluminum foil and store in freezer. Frozen muffins will stay good for up to three months.
- Not into blueberries? No problem! These muffins are great with raspberries, blackberries or strawberries!