Take a moment to enjoy the lentil things in life with our Cabbage and Lentil Salad Toast. If you’re looking for a light, vegetarian-friendly lunch, this Toast Tuesday recipe is exactly what you need. First, we make an invigorating lemon herb sauce by whipping Lifeway Farmer Cheese with lemon juice, garlic cloves, honey, and seasonings. We spread this over golden-brown toasted sourdough and top it with a medley of crunchy purple cabbage, red quinoa, and earthy lentils. Lifeway Farmer Cheese and lentils are an ideal match. Not only do they taste great together, but the prebiotic fibers in lentils help to fuel the probiotic strains in the cheese. It’s a protein-packed combo that your gut is going to love.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.Prep Time: 45 mins Servings: 2-4
- 2-3 slices of sourdough toast
- 1 cup, whipped Farmer Cheese
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 1 cup black lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- handful of long stem green beans
- 1 cup purple cabbage
- Lemon Herb Sauce:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and dried parsley to taste
- squeeze of honey
- Additional tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Rinse the lentils and quinoa. Place in an oven safe pot with broth and bake for 45-50 mins, Fluff when done.
- Blend together all ingredients for the sauce in a food processor.
- To whip the farmer cheese, blend the Farmer Cheese and ingredients for the lemon herb sauce in a food processor until smooth.
- Toss together quinoa, lentils, chopped green beans, and purple cabbage with additional tbsp of olive oil.
- Toast sourdough bread, top with whipped farmer cheese, lentils and quinoa, green beans and purple cabbage. Enjoy!