If cauliflower can become toast, anything is possible! We’re celebrating Mardi Gras and #ToastTuesday with some gut-healthy Cajun Cauliflower Toast. It’s a new spin on toast where the cauliflower is cut into steaks, then roasted and seasoned for that sought-after smoky flavor. Drizzle on a tangy Garlic Kefir Aioli made with fresh herbs, sweet cashews, and plain #kefir. The word cauliflower derives from the Latin words, caulis, meaning cabbage, and flos, which means flower. This extremely healthy vegetable provides an excellent source of fiber, vitamin C, and antioxidants. It’s no wonder that this ingredient is gaining tremendous popularity as a grain substitute for pizza crust, toast, and even mac and cheese. It’s a healthy, guilt-free meal that may support healthy digestion and immunity before you indulge in all of your #MardiGras favorites.
When it comes to cauliflower, there are two distinctly different opinions of this bountiful veggie: you’re either really for it or you’re really against it. Cabbage in latin means caulis (cabbage) and floris (flower), giving this basic veggie an elegant presence! Believed to have originated in ancient Asia and the Mediterranean, the oldest record of cauliflower dates back to the 6th century. It became popularized during the 16th century in France and England. It wasn’t until the 1920s that the cauliflower became commercially available in America.
Rich in Vitamin C & Vitamin K
Vitamin C, a golden superhero, is best known for its ability to help strengthen the immune system! This amazing vitamin plays an important role in producing collagen, which is crucial for teeth, bone, and tissue health. Vitamin C also has therapeutic properties that may reduce the severity of allergic reactions as well as fight off infections. Cauliflower also contains vitamin k which improves bone health by increasing bone density (the measurement of strength in bones). Because it strengthens bones, diets high in Vitamin K may lower rates of bone fractures.
High in Vitamin B6
Vitamin B6 helps make antibodies (warriors of health) which are needed to fight diseases and keeps blood sugar within normal ranges. This vitamin is key to healthy brain development, maintaining normal nerve function, and creating stable levels of serotonin.
High in Folate
Folate, aka vitamin B9, works with vitamin B6 to help break down carbohydrates into energy. That energy can help keep the liver, skin, and hair healthy.
Garlic Kefir Aioli
- 1/2 cup cashews, boiling for 5 minutes in water before using them
- 1/2 cup Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder or 6 cloves of roasted garlic
- 1/4 tsp dried sage, thyme, oregano (of each herb)
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp vinegar
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast, optional
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chipotle seasoning
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¾ medium cauliflower
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ medium lime
- Garlic Kefir Aioli: mix everything together in a small bowl
- Cajun Seasoning: mix everything together and set aside to use on cauliflower steaks.
- Cauliflower Steaks: Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees as you slice one whole head of cauliflower into 1-inch “steaks”.
- Lay the steaks on a large baking sheet and brush both sides with plenty of oil and coat the cauliflower in the seasoning.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turning them half-way through.
- Once done drizzle the cauliflower with the Garlic Kefir Aioli and some juice of a lime. Enjoy!