If cauliflower can become toast, anything is possible! We’re celebrating Mardi Gras with some gut-healthy Cajun Cauliflower Toast. It’s a new spin on toast where the cauliflower is cut into steaks, then roasted and seasoned for that sought-after smoky flavor. Drizzle on a tangy Garlic Kefir Aioli made with fresh herbs, sweet cashews, and plain kefir. The word cauliflower derives from the Latin words, caulis, meaning cabbage, and flos, which means flower. This extremely healthy vegetable provides an excellent source of fiber, vitamin C, and antioxidants. It’s no wonder that this ingredient is gaining tremendous popularity as a grain substitute for pizza crust, toast, and even mac and cheese. It’s a healthy, guilt-free meal that may support healthy digestion and immunity before you indulge in all of your Mardi Gras favorites.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole-fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a unique trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health. Lifeway Farmer Cheese is also a great source of all these nutrients, just in a different format for all the cheese lovers out there.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = A Healthier You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates that are a source of fiber that is naturally found in a variety of plant foods[b]. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to ensure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive systems. Lifeway Oat contains both prebiotics and probiotics for optimal gut and brain health.
Garlic Kefir Aioli
- 1/2 cup cashews, boiling for 5 minutes in water before using them
- 1/2 cup Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder or 6 cloves of roasted garlic
- 1/4 tsp dried sage, thyme, oregano (of each herb)
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp vinegar
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast, optional
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chipotle seasoning
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¾ medium cauliflower
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ medium lime
- Garlic Kefir Aioli: mix everything together in a small bowl
- Cajun Seasoning: mix everything together and set aside to use on cauliflower steaks.
- Cauliflower Steaks: Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees as you slice one whole head of cauliflower into 1-inch “steaks”.
- Lay the steaks on a large baking sheet and brush both sides with plenty of oil and coat the cauliflower in the seasoning.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turning them half-way through.
- Once done drizzle the cauliflower with the Garlic Kefir Aioli and some juice of a lime. Enjoy!