Think beyond the board with our Charcuterie Salad! This recipe takes all of your favorite charcuterie items, adds a few extra plant-based ingredients, and transforms the board into a magnificent salad. Delicious, delicate crumbles of Lifeway Farmer Cheese top a tantalizing blend of Italian cold cuts, chopped pepperoncini, fresh grape tomatoes, and crisp Romaine lettuce. We love this dish. It’s loaded with protein to fill you up and prebiotic fiber to support the probiotics in our farmer cheese and kefir to support a healthy gut.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = a Healthy You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive systems.Prep Time: 15 mins Servings: 2
- 1-2 heads of Romaine Lettuce
- 8 slices of salami, pepperoni, and prosciutto
- 1/2 cup small hard sausage
- 1 cup hard cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup, crumbled Farmer Cheese
- 1/4 small red onion
- 1/2 cup olives
- 1/4 pepperoncini, chopped
- 1/2 cup marinated mozzarella balls
- 1/3 cup artichokes
- 1/2 cup small grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Plain Lowfat Kefir
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- pinch of salt
- In a glass container that can be saved in the fridge, mix together all ingredients for the dressing and set aside.
- Chop Romaine, salami, pepperoni, prosciutto, pepperoncini, artichokes and olives. Slice Red onion and slice the grape tomatoes in half. Layer everything in a bowl starting with the chopped Romaine. Dress with Lifeway Kefir dressing and enjoy!