Wake up and smell the coffee on #NationalBrownieDay! We’re celebrating with a #recipe for decadent Cold Brew Brownies with farmer cheese frosting. Studies suggest that coffee and chocolate both benefit mental health and stimulate energy in the body and the brain. But it’s our farmer cheese that truly upgrades this crowd-pleasing dessert. By substituting farmer cheese for cream cheese, you get a boost of probiotics and protein in an indulgent frosting that enhances the rich, sweet flavor of the brownies. Check out the link in our bio for the recipe!
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = a Healthy You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest probiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive system.Prep Time: 15 mins Servings: 8-9
- 8 ounces quality semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp cold brew coffee concentrate
- 3/4 cup Gluten Free Flour (or flour of choice)
- 2 tbsp dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4oz cream cheese, at room temp
- 4oz, at room temp Farmer Cheese
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, cubed, at room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract or caramel extract
- Coarsely chop the chocolate and melt it together with the butter in a saucepan over medium heat while stirring constantly. Remove from the heat, pour in a mixing bowl, and let cool for 8-10 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a 9-inch square pan with parchment paper.
- Add the sugar to the chocolate mixture and whisk until well incorporated. Add the eggs, one at a time. Whisk in the vanilla extract and cold brew coffee concentrate.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, and salt and gently fold them in. Mix only until everything is incorporated and the dry ingredients are wet and no clumps remain.
- Spread the batter into your prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached and the brownies pull away from the edges of the pan.
- For the cream cheese frosting: Meanwhile, beat the cream cheese and farmer cheese in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in the butter until smooth. Add the confectioners' sugar and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Scrape into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip. Pipe on top of the cupcakes so the jam is covered.
- Let the brownies cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, apply Kefir frosting.