Fill your kitchen with the aroma of fresh baked banana bread. We love making this high-fiber golden turmeric banana bread that’s packed with wholesome ingredients to help support healthy digestion, like our creamy whole milk kefir, bananas, and whole-wheat pastry flour. Using kefir in baked recipes makes every sweet slice fluffy and delectable!
This vibrant root is the quintessential ingredient in many Middle Eastern dishes like curry, soup, and rice. Many different cultures all across the world have used and consumed it for centuries, often as a cure for ailments. In Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine, turmeric has also been used for a variety of uses including improving digestion, relieving arthritis, increasing blood flow, and more.
Turmeric contains curcumin, which is a compound that has been found to reduce swelling and inflammation. (This could be beneficial for digestive disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome, and ulcerative colitis.) Turmeric has a low bioavailability, which means that your body metabolizes it very quickly. Experts recommend pairing it with black pepper, which contains a natural substance called piperine that helps the body absorb the curcumin more slowly.
Other Benefits of Turmeric
- May help the pain of osteoarthritis
- Can stimulate the gallbladder to produce bile, which may aid in digestion
- May make your skin glow when used in your beauty regiment. Many companies are now using turmeric in their skincare lines
- May help reduce the buildup of LDL/bad cholesterol in the arteries
- Contains powerful antioxidants that may help prevent cancers
- May help protect the brain
- 1 cup Organic Natural Skyr
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 3 ripe medium bananas, mashed well
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips, plus some for topping
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a baking pan with cooking spray to coat.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, butter and both sugars. Thoroughly combine mashed bananas, kefir, eggs and vanilla. Fold flour mixture into wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Add in chocolate chips gently.
- Scatter batter with sliced almonds and a few chocolate chips on top of the bread.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until bread is light golden brown and are springy to the touch. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Keep bread in an airtight container for 4-5 days.