Merry Christmas! As you celebrate the holiday and exchange presents with your loved ones, don’t forget to give a little gift to your body too. Treat your gut with this yummy, easy-to-make, Hot Whipped Kefir Cocoa. Huddle up around the warm mug of cocoa and breathe in the soft, chocolatey fragrance. Sip and relax. Because we use Lifeway Kefir in the recipe, we’re boosting this classic beverage with probiotics and protein, too. Research shows that probiotics may help balance the gut, improve immunity, and support emotional well-being. Protein supports a healthy metabolism, muscle maintenance and growth, and is essential to healthy hormone production. It’s the most wonderful treat for the most wonderful time of the year.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole-fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = a Healthy You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest probiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive systems.Prep Time: 2-5 mins Servings: 4-6
- 2 1/2 cups Vanilla Whole Milk Kefir
- 1/4 cup sugar or sugar alternative of choice
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6oz. chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- For Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cups more Vanilla Whole Milk Kefir
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Top with crushed peppermints.
- Add OWM Kefir, sugar, cocoa powder in a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat. Whisk occasionally until the mixture begins to bubble, but don't let it boil.
- Add chocolate chips and vanilla and whisk until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Make the whipping cream by adding all ingredients into a food processor and blend until it thickens up.
- Pour hot chocolate into cups and top with whipping cream. Top with cinnamon and crushed peppermints.