This Lemon Farmer Cheese Pasta is the zest you’ll ever have! 🍋 It starts with our Lifeway Farmer cheese. This #smallbatch, #protein rich, dry curd #cheese is a versatile ingredient with a flavor that flawlessly adapts to a variety of dishes. In this #recipe, we infuse it with lemon, creating a perfectly balanced, light and tangy pasta sauce. We stir the sauce into our favorite short pasta and arugula, add a little oil and spices, and then sit down for a rich, filling, heavenly pasta dinner.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
- 1 lb short pasta, like penne or Mezzi rigatoni
- 1 cup Farmer Cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan (plus more for serving)
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- ¼ cup lemon juice from 1 to 2 lemons
- 2 cups of arugula
- Chili flakes for serving
- Olive oil for serving
- Thinly sliced or torn basil leaves for serving
- Cook pasta according to package instructions until al dente, reserving 1 cup of cooking water. Drain pasta and set aside.
- Make the sauce in the same pot: add the Farmer Cheese, parmesan, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper to taste and stir until well combined.
- Stir or whisk in ½ cup of pasta water until smooth.
- Add the pasta and stir until the noodles are well coated adding more pasta water to loosen up the sauce as needed for a smooth sauce.
- Stir in the arugula.
- Serve immediately and top with remaining sauce and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve with extra parmesan, red-pepper flakes and torn basil.